Saturday, April 7, 2018

The Joy of Gaming: 21 Days Until International Tabletop Day - Once Upon a Time



Once Upon a Time was a game that I did see on Tabletop and I fell in love with it's storytelling ability. My teacher mind immediately went into all the different scenarios where it would be helpful for my classroom, even when thinking about the plot of a story. There are twists and turns and different shocking moments that come up. At the time we were also working through a unit about Fairy Tales and we were comparing the original horrific stories with more modern versions.

The other interesting part of the game is that you're working together, but you're also working against each other to come out of the story winner at the end. You want the story to end with your ending. So much fun!

It is a much more fun game with more people, so right now I'm hoping to make this a game I reintroduce to my students, because I think it has fallen by the wayside and it has so much exciting potential for what these kids want out of club right now.

As you can see from the episode, it does take a great deal of creative energy, but also paying attention. The point, though, is you're creating a collective story... duh! And you have to remember the details to keep your own story going. So much fun with so much potential and I think the game itself has somewhat fallen out of the limelight and might even be somewhat of a forgotten game, as I found while posting about it in a forum.

Really enjoy how it changed my perception of a cooperative, yet competitive game of storytelling.






No comments:

Post a Comment